Save the date for this autumn’s most vibrant learning and networking event: InVision 2019. InScience – International Science Film Festival Nijmegen invites you to celebrate science and film art, meet professionals, exchange ideas and collaborate. InVision takes place on November 8th, from 10:00 to 17:30.
InVision brings together professionals from the film, science, and creative industries to stimulate interdisciplinary cross-overs. Why? Because at InScience we believe in the strength of combining science and the art of storytelling. This expert meeting will focus on one central question: how can interdisciplinary collaboration take film and science to the next level?
Speakers: Scott Hamilton Kennedy, Maartje Nevejan & Linde van Schuppen, Paul Mezier, Greg Boustead, Barbara Visser & Bart Haensel.
Moderator: Isolde Hallensleben – host, columnist and programmer at Eindhoven University of Technology
9.30 Registration & coffee
10.00 Opening: welcome by Isolde Hallensleben
10.10 Best practices: sharing experiences in science filmmaking with Maartje Nevejan & Linde van Schuppen (NL), Paul Mezier (FR) and Greg Boustead (USA).
- Maartje Nevejan (NL) will discuss her collaboration with philosopher Linde van Schuppen (NL) for her documentary Are You There? (2019) which is part of a larger multi-media project that includes an art exhibition, a research film, a book and a VR film.*
- Paul Mezier (FR), writer and director of the interactive VR project Overview (2019)*, will discuss his artistic view on and his collaboration with scientists for his immersive installations and VR films.
- Greg Boustead (USA), executive producer at Sandbox Films, known for high-end documentaries such as The Most Unknown (2018) and Human Nature (2019)*, will explain the mission and strategy of Sandbox and their latest collaboration with Werner Hertzog.
11.15 Coffee Break
11.30 Masterclass by Scott Hamilton Kennedy, Academy Award nominee documentary director of Food Evolution (2016)* on the art of making a science film. How do you create complex stories? How do you work on an interdisciplinary level? Scott will provide insight in how to approach a nuanced and sometimes difficult scientific subject as a filmmaker, how you consider different interests and how you subsequently develop a strategy for distribution, screening and impact.
13.30 Sub-sessions [These sub-sessions are open to a wider audience]
- Panel: Astronauten van de binnenwereld. Hoe doe je recht aan de ervaring? (NL) Filosofe Linde van Schuppen gaat in gesprek met neurowetenschappers, beeldend kunstenaars, editors en VR-makers over hoe je een ervaring, via vormgeving recht kan doen?
More information and tickets.
- Pitches: Work-in-progress: talented filmmakers pitch their project to a panel of experts and the audience and discuss the do’s and don’ts in taking the next steps. Panel includes ao Ruben van Leer (filmmaker), Rob van Hattum (VPRO), Jeltje Hillen (Cinecrowd), Hanneke Bouwsema (NPO), Greg Boustead (Sandbox). Moderated by Isolde Hallensleben.
More information and tickets.
15.00 Collective recap of sub-sessions
15.15 Matchmaking: meet other professionals and collaborate
16.15 Conclusions of the day
16.30 Drinks and mingle
*These (film) projects can be seen during InScience.
If you want to attend the full program of InVision, please sign up here (tickets are €12,50 including drinks and lunch). Please indicate in the submission form that you want to attend InVision. You can do this under ‘Request Accreditation As’. Paying upon arrival and during the program with pin.